Director, Early Portfolio Management.
This individual will collaborate closely with R&D to lead early-stage program planning (through clinical candidate selection) and participate as a key business partner and resource for related operational planning.
This role will be responsible for supporting the advancement of early-stage programs with an emphasis on cross-functional collaboration and driving towards portfolio-level goals. This role will also be responsible for leading the implementation of governance and stage-gate processes for the early portfolio. Reporting to the Vice President of Portfolio Management, this position will bridge R&D, Business, and Operation teams to drive successful development and expansion of our Portfolio.
Early Portfolio Planning
- In partnership with R&D team, shepherd timely advancement of early-stage programs to value-inflection milestones by developing and maintaining project plans that include strategies, timelines, optimization of scope, risks, tradeoffs, and resource requirements
- Develop and maintain a real-time view of resource tracking across the early-stage portfolio to inform prioritization decisions and growth planning
- Proactively identify and raise project challenges and risks, propose contingency plans, and monitor execution of corrective actions
- Facilitate program meetings in collaboration with R&D team; organize high quality documents and presentations, roadmaps, deliverables, and updates as needed
Early Portfolio Governance
- Lead the operational implementation of early-stage program evaluation and stage-gate processes in support of broader portfolio goals and milestones
- Maintain view of key activities / milestones / resource needs across portfolio to support strategic planning and inform Leadership Team decision-making
- Lead cross functional efforts across key pillars of our business (e.g., R&D, Business Development/Strategy, HR, Finance, Operations, Communications) to support operational initiatives
- Act as thought partner to business leads to support R&D long-range planning and annual budgeting in alignment with established portfolio milestones and corporate goals
- Support development of core capabilities that can support cross-portfolio initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences (graduate degree preferred), demonstrated strong scientific background, and 9 – 15 years of experience..
- Demonstrated involvement in drug discovery and /or development process
- Demonstrated ability to influence without authority, drive decision making, and motivate teams
- Responsive and proactive, with professional maturity to readily anticipate and prioritize team needs
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines in a highly matrixed organization
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Process-oriented yet flexible, with the aptitude to recognize which is needed
- Strong professional written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and make informed decisions
- Highly motivated, goal- and results-oriented team player
- Hands-on, “roll up your sleeves” approach toward achieving results
- Manages information of a highly confidential and critical nature appropriately
- Proficient in Microsoft Office tools
qualified candidates should email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org