A key member of the Executive Management Team, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) will develop and lead our Research and Development strategy while overseeing a team of scientists focused on early discovery and pre-clinical activities.
Reporting directly to the CEO, this individual will manage teams focused on early discovery and pre-clinical development of new pipeline opportunities in oncology (solid tumor) including prioritization and validation of new pipeline assets.
The CDO will bring strong scientific and management expertise within oncology and, if possible, solid tumor drug discovery and development. They will have a well-recognized scientific and investor networks within the relevant disease area markets and proven track-record of successful advancement of assets from early discovery to clinic.
• Lead the R&D strategy and pre-clinical assessment of our prioritized pipeline products.
• Serve as a content expert on drug development and relevant disease area domains with a focus on driving assets from late discovery to the clinical candidates.
• Contribute to R&D strategy development and decision making in relation to company-wide issues as a member of the executive leadership team.
• Direct the implementation of R&D processes for the organization.
• Represent the overall R&D perspective where needed in investor presentations, Board meetings and with business devlopment and financial partners.
• Recruit, develop and retain talent in the research organization by providing professional and personal growth opportunities and mentorship. This will include building and managing multiple groups including the technical development team.
• Support Business Development activities, providing scientific input into discussions with potential pharma partners.
The successful candidate will:
Be a seasoned, entrepreneurial executive with a proven track record of leading and inspiring a small team of scientific staff.
Have senior management experience, preferably in fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
Be experienced in the due diligence and operational aspects of in-licensing of early-stage assets
Be comfortable setting a vision and effectively executing on it; earning the respect of the
existing leadership, as well as potential investors and scientific collaborators.
Possess a technical background in biologics and drug development – with a preference for
Be an R&D thought leader who thoroughly believes in the potential of the platform technology
and communicates this consistently with internal and external stakeholders.
Possess a track record for discovery and development of innovative products to support existing
product development and the evaluation of future opportunities.
Have the ability to critically evaluate scientific data and communicate to scientific and non-
scientific communities with global reach.
Have the ability to communicate with high impact internally and externally with the ability to
translate science into commercial value and to challenge business cases.
Contribute to the development of the existing intellectual property estate and originate new
Have a PhD, MD, or equivalent scientific qualification.
Please email CV / Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration