Reporting directly to the VP of Business & Corporate Development, the A/D of Business Development will work closely with the leadership team to develop, implement, and execute a corporate and business development strategy that capitalizes on the company’s proprietary technology and insights. This includes designing and executing deals around the company’s core programs, monetizing other targets generated by the platform, leveraging the platform itself as a value driver, crafting the company’s strategic positioning, and identifying inorganic opportunities for growth. These efforts will serve multiple goals: attract equity financing, bring in non-dilutive financing, and diversify the business model beyond a select few programs, thereby enabling us to establish itself as a company deriving value from both its proprietary pipeline and the platform serving as the engine for continued growth.
The A/D, Business Development will assist in identifying, assessing, and executing complex, creative deals with a variety of potential partners including biopharma companies, foundations, research institutes, government agencies, etc. These collaborations can take a variety of forms and include both buy- and sell-side transactions, as well as joint ventures. The successful candidate must be able to understand these opportunities from a strategic perspective as well as help bring them to fruition through term sheet negotiations and deal execution, working in partnership with the VP of Business & Corporate Development and the executive leadership team.
Other responsibilities of the A/D Business Development will include:
- Build, track, and maintain business development funnel of opportunities
- Optimizing the success of the pipeline by helping create and communicate the vision, strategy, company capabilities and key initiatives to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Assist in positioning our assets and the overall corporate strategy by collaborating with the CSO, R&D team and executive team to bring together market insights with the organically derived scientific strategies;
- Assist in identifying prospective partners/deal opportunities by monitoring the competitive landscape, particularly in the immuno-oncology space, and leveraging these insights;
- Screening assets, mechanisms, therapeutic areas and companies for transaction opportunities and leading the due diligence activities for both buy- and sell-side transactions;
- Creating compelling strategic and commercial justifications of recommended deals including detailed financial models and competitive analyses;
- Collaborating with the leadership team on formulating and executing negotiations strategy, and with legal advisors to structure and execute transactions;
- Partnering closely with the VP of Business & Corporate Development and leadership team on fundraising activities and assessing how strategic transactions could impact funding strategies;
- Maintaining organizational alignment with the corporate strategy by providing cross-functional support and oversight to existing program and team activities, ensuring clarity around inflection and decision points;
- Managing existing alliances by ensuring healthy, transparent and solution-oriented interactions with key partners;
- Becoming a trusted colleague within the company; helping to establish and promote an inclusive and positive culture, collaborating across disciplines, mentoring junior colleagues, etc.
In summary, given the breadth and uniqueness of our technology, Business Development will be a critical growth driver for the company and will generate numerous opportunities. The A/D of Business Development will employ creative, strategic, and tactical acumen to assist in identifying, nurturing and capturing these opportunities.
From an educational perspective, the desired candidate will ideally possess an advanced degree(s) such as a Ph.D., M.D., and/or M.B.A. from a well-respected institution. Education, while an important index of achievement, orientation and intellectual capacity, will not constitute the primary variable in this decision process. Personal characteristics, common sense, work ethic and demonstrated accomplishment in business and corporate development will serve as key components in the evaluation of candidates.
At a professional level, we are seeking an individual with three to five years of industry experience. This individual preferably brings a wealth of knowledge and credibility within the immuno-oncology space and is familiar with the competitive landscape. That said, generalists who bring a track record of achievement within strategy and or business development or corporate development functions in a company, venture capital firm or consulting firm will also be considered.
The ideal candidate will possess experience in strategy, deal valuation, and/or deal execution. As such, the individual must demonstrate creativity and flexibility in thinking. The ability to work collaboratively with a highly competent scientific team and management team while building awareness of the company in the external marketplace is essential.
On a personal level, the A/D of Business Development must be a highly articulate and fluid communicator in both individual and group settings. The position requires heightened intelligence, mature business judgment, an elevated work ethic, personal warmth and rich imagination.
Other desired traits in the A/D of Business Development include:
- Ambition, initiative and enthusiasm;
- Self-confidence and the ability to comfortably present opinions/ideas and influence as needed;
- Personal maturity;
- Rigorous analytical capabilities;
- The highest professional and ethical standards; and,
- A natural and comfortable affect
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com for consideration